At Calvert Middle School, our vision is to foster productive citizens who respect diversity and embrace positive values through the challenge of rigorous expectations.
The new Calvert Middle School opened its doors August 2010 for its first school year. The school was built in a new location geographically north of Calvert High School with a view of the high school athletic fields from some windows. The location by car is 655 Chesapeake Boulevard, which is a newly extended road between the shopping center containing Giant. The new school is larger than the original containing 59 instructional rooms which includes Academic, Related Arts, computer labs, and small group instructional classrooms. Other areas include a media center, gymnasium, and cafeteria/stage.
The original Calvert Middle School was the oldest school building in Calvert County. It was originally built in 1947 and opened as a high school in 1949. It has been a middle school since 1973, incorporating grades six, seven, and eight. It was located in the heart of Calvert County's governmental seat in Prince Frederick, Maryland, at the intersection of State Route 4 and Dares Beach Road. It was demolished around 2010 but the playing fields continue to be used by the public.